Iranian style hot tea recipe
National drink of Iran.
Tea leaves steeped in hot water and spiced with cardomon. The teapot is kept warm on samover.
Served piping hot in small, transparent glasses and sipped along with homemade suger cubes held in the mouth. To view recipe for persian style sugar wafers called Poolaki, see below.
Samovars have been used at least for two centuries in Iran, and expatriates everywhere maintain it. Every household as at least one samovar, whether it be an electrical, oil-burning or natural gas-consuming on.
Enjoyed before meals, while shopping, when visiting friends, after dinner, etc,.
- Dargeeling - 2 parts
- Earl Grey - 1 part
- Orange Pekoe - 1/2 part
- Cardamom - 1/4 teaspoon (optional)
- Boil water in a kettle
- Place two tablespoons of tea leaves into teapot and dash of cardamom and let steep for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve in transparent tea cups made to withstand hot liquids.
- Serve with sugar-cubes flavored with anise.
- To view recipe for persian style sugar wafers called Poolaki, see below.
Poolaki Iranian style candy wafer recipe
Persian sugar wafers called Poolaki.
Poolaki is caramelized sugar wafers. Caramelized the sugar by slowly heating in a sacuse pan until it turns into a liquid, seasoned with a dash of ground anise powder.
Mixture is spooned onto cookies sheets, which will spead out into a roundish medallion shaped wafer. Let sit for a few hours until wafter harden into crunchy sweet treats.
Optionally, you can sprinkle slivers of pistachio nuts on top of wafers as it cools or stir in sesame seeds while mixture is still in the sauce pan.
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Anise - 1/2 teaspoon
- Pistachios - 2 tablespoons slivered
- Sesame Seeds - 1 teaspoons
- If you like, slightly rub bottom of sauce pan with unsalted butter.
- Place sauce pan over high heat for a minute or so.
- Slowly place sugar into sauce pan with a spoon, stir constantly until sugar liquefies which should be an amber colour.
- Slowly sprinkle in ground anise powder and keep stirring.
- Optionally, you can stir in some sesame seeds, as well.
- Remove sauce pan from heat when ingredients are thoroughly mixed with liquefied sugar.
- Have a metal cookie pan or place tin foil over-top a plate.
- Use a tablespoon to lift a small amount of hot liquid from sauce pan and gently pour it onto the cookie sheet.
- Wafers should be about the size of a coin.
- Before wafers harden sprinkle bits of pistachio nuts on top and press into place.
- Allow sugar wafers to cool for a few hours before removing from cookie sheet.
- Arrange pieces on a decorative place and serve with hot tea.
- Dip wafer into hot tea before placing it in the mouth.
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.