Iranian Style Round Flat Bread
Preheat oven, mix together ingredients to make dough, roll out dough into slices and place into oven.
You'll have piping hot fresh flat bread in minutes.
Persian bread is easy to make and mostly varies according to type of wheat used.
- Whole Wheat flour - 3 cups
- Active dry yeast - 1 packet
- Salt - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Water - 2 1/2 cups (warm)
- Preheat oven at high heat, along with cast iron griddle (see below).
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water in a small bowl, then gradually stir in 2 cups of water and salt.
- Pour flour through a flour sifter into a bowl, then stir in yeast solution and mix thoroughly.
- Knead the dough with your hands or use an electric mixer. Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of water and knead until dough is firm.
- Knead the dough with your hands for ten minutes and form into a big ball.
- Sprinkle flour in the bottom of a bowl, place the ball of dough in the bowl and sprinkle the top with some more flour.
- Cover bowl with a clean towel and store in a warm place for minimum one hour.
Roll Out Dough:
- Dough will have risen a few inches. Pop any bubbles and transfer to the rolling board. Knead dough and mould into the shape of a log.
- Use a knife to divide the dough into evenly proportioned pieces. Roll pieces into small fist sized balls.
- Sprinkle flour on rolling pin and rolling board. Roll out each dough ball into a circular shape, 1/8" thick.
- Use a fork to perforate the surface with three or four vertical lines.
- Optionally, you can take up the dough and stretch it across a large oven pad, smoothing out any wrinkles.
Use Oven Griddle:
- Open oven door and slide out shelf containing the griddle and place dough slice on the griddle.
- If using oven pad, swiftly turn over oven pad so dough falls flat on the griddle.
- Bake for one minute, then pat down the dough to prevent puffing.
- Bake for another 3 minutes or until surface starts bubbling and turns golden brown.
- Turn over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and wrap in a clean towel.
- Repeat procedure until dough is used up.
- You can also cook bread on the stovetop using a cast iron skillet.
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.