Iranian Style Plain Rice Pudding
Well Rice isn't just for meals is it. Rice kernals left to simmer in milk, blended with salt, cardamom and nuts, finely decorated with ground cinnamon and slivers of pistachio nuts.
If you like rice pudding with color try Sholeh Zard, basically saffron flavored rice pudding.
Shir means 'milk' and Berenj means 'rice' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Milk - 3 cups
- Water - 2 cups
- Rose water - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- Almonds - 1/4 cup (Slivered)
- Wash rice kernals and drain.
- Place water in a pot, add salt, add rice and bring to a boil.
- Stir frequently to avoid clumping. Remove any foam from surface.
- Once rice turns soft and mushy reduce heat to low.
- Add milk, rose water and cardamom and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir often to avoid clumping. User masher utensil to break up clumps.
- Once cooked, ladle mixture into single serving bowls or large dessert dish.
- Decorate surface with almonds and cinnamon.
- To serve chilled, place in cooler for 1 hour.
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.