Barley Porridge with Chicken
Haleem or Halim
Delicious porridge made with barley grains cooked with chicken, topped with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Served hot for breakfast.This is one of my favorite persain food recipes.
Great combination of chicken and barley. You can substitute Cream of Wheat for barley grains. Add 2 cups of milk, as well.
- Chicken - 1 pound chicken (bite sized portions)
- Barley grains - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Place chicken pieces in a pot and fill with water. Waterline should be at least 3 inches above surface of chicken. Boil chicken until the meat falls off the bones.
- Extract chicken pieces from broth and place in bowl. Dice chicken using potato masher.
Add barley grains:
- Place barley grain in a pot and add water. Use any broth remaining from boiled chicken. Add salt and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes until grains are bloated and soft.
- Reduce heat to low and add chicken to the barley. Use masher to thoroughly blend barley and chicken.
- Cook until texture of porridge becomes like a thick, smooth paste.
Serving the porridge:
- When ready to serve. Place barley porridge into a large bowl. Pour melted butter over surface.
- Blend sugar granules with cinnamon spice before sprinkling over porridge.
- Serve hot for breakfast, along with hot nun lavash.
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.