Beef with Chickpeas Soup
The famous Abgusht or as street vendors call them 'Teezy'.
Beef shank stewed with chickpeas, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic and onions. Spiced with pepper and turmeric. Before serving, beef broth is drained into a serving bowl. The remaining beef, chickpeas and potato mixture is mashed together to make a chucky paste.
Abgusht mean 'meat broth' and nokhod means 'bean' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Beef shank - 2 lbs (with bones)
- Chickpeas - 1/2 cup
- Potatoes - 3 medium
- Tomatoes - 3 small
- Onions - 2 medium
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Dried limes - 3 (substitute lime juice)
- Salt - 1/2 tablespoon
- Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Water - 6 cups
- Rince chickpeas until water runs clear, then place beans in a deep cooking pot.
- Cut potatoes and tomatoes into large pieces and add to pot.
- Dice the onions and garlic and add to pot.
- Crush the dried limes and add to pot.
- Add seasonings, add water, then cook over high heat until water starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let simmer until meat is so tender it falls off the bones.
- This will take up to an hour and 15 minutes. So every once in a while, use a large spoon to stir the contents in the pot.
- Once cooked, drain the beef broth straight into a serving bowl.
Mash up remaining meat and potatoes:
- At this time, extract bones from cooked meat and potatoes.
- Separate cooked beef and mash into a chucky paste.
- Mash the remaining chickpeas, potatoes and tomatoes into a creamy paste.
- Combine meat paste with vegetable paste. Blend together until mixture turns into a soft paste strew with chunks of vegetable or meat.
- Place one scoop of mashed meat in a soup bowl then pour beef broth over top.
- As you would with crackers, add bite sized pieces of nun sanghak / crispy bread to broth.
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.