Pomegranate Meatball Soup
Seasoned groundbeef meatballs, stewed in pomegranate juice with rice, lentils, along with sauteed raisins and mints leaves.
Interesting mix of sweet and tangy flavors, full of nutrients provided by a variety of ingredients, herbs and spices.
Aush means 'soup' and anar means 'pomegranate' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Ground-beef - 1 lb
- Lentils - 3/4 cup
- Rice - 1 cup
- Pomegranate seeds - 3 cups
- Onion - 1 medium
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Parsley - 1/2 cup
- Green onions - 1/2 cup (minced)
- Raisins - 2 Tbs
- Mint - 2 Tbs
- Pepper - 2 tsp
- Turmeric - 1 Tbs
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 tbs
- Sugar - 1 Tbs
- Olive oil - 4 Tbs
- Pomegranate juice - 1 cup
- Water - approx. 8 cups
- Place ground-beef, turmeric, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Create small sized meatballs and set aside.
Prepare Rice and Lentils:
- Bring water to a boil in a pot.
- Rinse rice and lentils in a bowl before adding to boiling water.
- Add meat-balls to pot.
- Add chopped parsley, green onions.
- Use a small frying pan to sauté onions and garlic in olive oil, then add mixture to pot.
- Cover pot with lid and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
Prepare Raisins and Herbs:
- Sauté chopped mint, raisins in remaining olive oil.
- Stir in pomegranate juice, sugar, cinnamon and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.