Spinach beef stew with dried plums
Beef chunks, chopped spinach and parsley, dried plums, lemon juice and seasons. Served with plain steamed rice flavoured with saffron. khoresht-eh esfanaj is a tasty and nutritious meal.
Dried plums are good source of vitamin K which in needed to maintain healthy bones and teeth.
Dried plums also help the body absorb iron contained in spinach and other leafy green vegetables.
- Beef or lamb - 1 lb (cubed)
- Prunes - 1 lb
- Spinach - 1 bunch (chopped)
- Coriander or parsley - 1 bunch (chopped)
- Mint - 1/4 cup (chopped) or 2 Tbs dried
- Onion - 1 large (sliced)
- Sugar - 3 Tbs
- Turmeric - 2 tsp
- Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbs
- Oil - 1 Tbs
- Lemon juice - 1/2 cup
- Water - 3 cups
- Heat up oil in a pot, over medium heat, add cubed meat and sprinkle cinnamon and salt over top. Cook until meat chunks are brown on all sides.
- Place water in cooking pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat. Add meat chunks and prunes to pot, cover with lid and let simmer for 25 minutes or so until meat is cooked and prunes are tender.
- Add chopped spinach, parsley, seasonings, sugar and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and sauté sliced onions, reduce heat to very low before adding chopped mint. Cook mixture for a few more minutes before removing saucepan from heat.
- Add mint and onions to pot containing meat and spinach. Stir in lemon juice and let simmer for a few minutes before removing from heat.
- Serve with plain steamed rice - chelo
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.